Monday, January 28, 2008

Aren't We Courteous

I would like to express my deepest frustrations towards many Malaysians that are still lacking in their ‘civic consciousness’. There are many incidents that reflect this but I want to focus on just the situation in our public transportation facilities.

My wife is currently 6 months pregnant with our third child Alhamdulillah (insyaAllah the Dr said, I am expecting another daughter…). Anyways, today she had to take the LRT. We kind of overslept this morning. After Subuh prayers, we continued with our beauty sleeps and only woke up at 7.17 am. Normally, we leave the house at around 6.40 am and will reach KLCC by 7.50 am (Petronas starts work at 8 am, that is why most of the time I will be amongst the first to arrive the office). It is so pathetic… it takes about an hour to travel to work in the morning (due to the heavy traffic) when it takes only 15-20 minutes should I leave after 9.30 am (mmm this is another topic I will later write in my Blog!!!). So this morning, we had to make a judgment call.. at the end, she decided that she will take the LRT as she knows that she will make it to the office by 8 am.

I just had a phone call from her (it’s 7.56 am, she’s at the office already). She told me about how NO one was courteous enough to give her a seat. I have gone through this scenario before. I remembered when my wife was pregnant with our first child (Mu’adz). Back then our ‘economic’ or ‘financial’ conditions were not that stable yet, so we relied heavily on the public transport for our logistical needs. Most of the days, I would have to ask the people that are seating to give seat to my pregnant wife, any elderly or disabled (or most Malaysians call OKUs..). And most of the time someone will offer their seat (unfortunately, mostly it is not the men but the ladies..). I remembered one time, a ‘BOY’ (but in a 30 yr old body) just totally ignored us and purposely shut his eyes while listening to his walkman.

It was during this time that Sharizat’s ministry came out with the ‘Aren’t We Courteous’ campaign. Seeing the ad where Azlin (or whatever his name is) acted as the rude passenger that did not give his seat for those more in need. Man, I really supported that campaign. It worked to a certain extend. At least, sarcastically people are reminded that the seats are reserved for others less fortunate. Unfortunately, the campaign ended (I guess) as it is no longer advertised. In my humble opinion, we should continue and in fact intensify the campaign.

Hey, that’s my 2 cents on the issue, what’s yours???

3 comments:

Anak Mak Bun said...

yes..is true...it is good campaign.I use public transport every day and people nowadays really selfish.I remember when i attend spike interview,i suddenly got gastrik and almost fainted inside lrt..but no one give me a seat ... they just looking at me.Alhamdulilah I get to join Spike program.

joe razali said...

Although we Malaysians are not known to be courteous to others( I almost never heard people thanking me when I hold the doors for them which is a totally difference case in the states). But I've seen some pretty nice stuff happening as most of the days I commute to work using the KTM Komuter (from Bangi - KL Sentral) Putra (KL Sentral - KLCC). Although occasionally you can find selfish idiots. I've always seen occassions where even a chinese dude would give way for malay makcik and vice versa.

aidawati said...

Reza, definitely agree with you. When I was pregnant back when, it was other races (than ours) that were courteous to me.

It is sad that the Malays have forgotten their values. True to what Dr M said the last time, "Melayu Mudah Lupa".