Friday, March 7, 2008

Flat World???


I have finally completed the book I was reading since 2-3 weeks ago (I told you guys before, I am a SLOW reader). As interesting the title of the book may sound, in my humble opinion, it’s too lengthy, wordy and if you are familiar with the author, Thomas L Friedman you would agree with me. Then again, he won the Pulitzer prize a 3 times for his work ... and this book was a best-seller quiet some time... Yes (for those who can guess), the book is titled ‘The World Is Flat’.
In brief, the book is about globalization and its affects to change. Friedman recounts a journey to Bangalore, India, when he realized globalization has changed core economic concepts. He suggests the world is "flat" in the sense that globalization has leveled the competitive playing fields between industrial and emerging market countries. Friedman recounts many examples of companies based in India and China that, by providing labor from typists and call center operators to accountants and computer programmers, have become integral parts of complex global supply chains for such companies as Dell, AOL, and Microsoft.
Friedman described 10 forces that flattened the world…. (actually, just refer to Ija’s blog on this).
So, what does this mean??? To me, if we continue to operate as we have previously and refuse to accept change, well in my opinion, we will definitely be left behind. Tg Farith has kept on mentioning about innovation and change (refer to Tg Farith's blog ). I guess, to get to the top and to stay on top (refer to Shariff's blog), to need to seriously thinking about innovation and explore new opportunities.

Anyway, we have no real idea how the 21st century's history will unfold, but this terrifically stimulating book will certainly inspire readers to start thinking it all through.

Hey, that’s my 2 cents on the issue, what’s yours???

No comments: